Tuesday 22 November 2011

Night riding rules... OK

Finally managed to get out for a decent night ride in the forest last night.  For the past 2 years or so there would be a group of about 6-8 regular Monday night rides.  We meet at Rochedale park for a 7pm ride off.  We generally ride about 20 km at an easy pace.  We finish just before 9 pm so there is a lot of chatting and breath catching to take up some time.

We had a few encounters with some wildlife, not all that uncommon but it was the first time we'd seen a bandicoot sitting on the trail and later a little frog mouth own just beside us as we rode up a fire trail.  There were the regular wallabies, toads, spiders, toads and assorted unseen things crashing through the bush.  Strangely we didn't seen anyone else out this time, that would usually be rare.

I'm not anywhere near as fast as most of the other guys but I have to say my average speed is much higher in the dark.

I have a set of Ayup LED lights, they can be more expensive than some on the market but the light output, light weight and quality build is just so confidence inspiring.  I have 2 x Two hour batteries, a pencil or narrow beam on my helmet and a wide beam on my bars.  The place lights up like day (except it's white I guess).  These are not my photos, I took them from the Ayup page but you can get the idea..

I plan to get some more photos that will show some more.

I was riding the 29er SS, this was a big call because the guys are usually pretty quick.  In saying that they will always wait at trail ends until we are all back together.  We picked a few good hills and I felt happy that I never needed to get off and walk although I suspect that was Neil's aim with at least one of those tracks.

If you're in Brissy come down and ride Daisy Hill at night, 7.00 pm at the BMX track, Rochedale on Monday nights.  If you're not sure, check out mtbdirt for the rides thread and let us know you're coming. ( last page guys)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will review and add soon.